This afternoon I get to try out a collection of Stila products with reps that will be at Shoppers Drug Mart. I always like an opportunity to try before you buy. Last year I did Benefit cosmetics. I don’t really have much knowledge or experience with this company so i am looking forward to trying out their products and hopefully taking home a few freebies too.
Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub. I purchased this product because I was looking for a gentle everyday exfoliant. The “natural” and reputation of Neutrogena hooked me into buying this scrub. Unfortunately, for my skin it was light years away from an everyday scrub. I found the scrub felt like little shards of glass on my face and my face would be red for an hour or so after use. This product went into category “when my face need a deeper exfoliant” and I used it once a month. I did end up using the whole bottle eventually. I may purchase again to keep on hand when I feel my face needs a good exfoliant. 3/5
L’Oreal Gently Eye Make Up Remover. For the most part I find oil-free make up removers work well for me. This product is gentle, works well and is not very expensive. 4/5
Eco-beauty Good Day Day Moisturizer. This moisturizer came in an ipsy bag. Claims: Long-lasting moisturization,ample hydration,fresher & happier appearance,highly natural, biodegradable formula,cruelty-free. Sounds perfect, except I had a big issue with the scent. It just didn’t smell like fresh cucumbers to me. As well, there was something about the formula that made it feel more medical then luxurious. It did melt into my skin and it didn’t feel heavy or greasy but I wan’t sure how moisturizing it was to my skin. I used the whole sample because I was trying to figure out if the product was giving me any real, noticeable benefits. I didn’t observe any and since I can’t get over the clinical smell and texture I wouldn’t purchase this product. 2.5/5
Edward Bess Sheer Satin Cream Foundation Shade Bare 02 I really liked this cream foundation. This was my second empty of this product. It gave me great coverage, was easy and smooth to apply and my face had a very natural appearance.The downfall is at $60.00 a compact the product doesn’t last long, especially If you are using it for full face coverage. You seem to lose a lot of product in your brush or sponge. The formula itself is fantastic. 4.5/5
Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Creme Oil Another ipsy bag sample. I really do love getting my monthly bag of goodies. I was pleasantly surprised with this product and how much I ended up liking it. It tamed some frizz, I could’t feel the product in my hair and it has some sort of glitter or something which adds the luminance to your hair. If, I used to much of this product at once, it would sometimes cause my scalp to itch. So I had to be careful not to squeeze to much out at one time. Will repurchase should I find it in my travels. 3.5/5
Anew Reversalist Complete Renewal Day Cream. This is my staple face cream. It is light, non-greasy, doesn’t cause breakouts, helps reduce brown spots and has an SPF of 25. It does a good job moisturizing my face and neck. Avon also claims it reduces fine lines and wrinkles. I don’t have any wrinkles ( okay, a few smile wrinkles, but who doesn’t?) so I guess it is working. Thank you Avon and good genes. I have already re-purchaesed this. 4/5
L’Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara. I can get really long lashes with this product and you can build your lashes up as well without a caked on look. I may even like this a bit better than Lights Camera Lashes by Tarte. It is more cost effective. 5/5 Will re-purchase this weekend.
Instand Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle I bought this after all the rage in the blogging world and it didn’t disappoint. What I love most is that it does not crease in those little laugh lines I have under my eyes. Unlike Nars Concealer which was a big disappointment. This will be a staple in my make-up collection and it is a good price point too! 4.5/5
I am pretty good at keeping clutter to a minimum in my house except when it comes to make-up. I just can’t seem to toss it out. Maybe it is because I am very conscience about recycling and donating items and with make-up a lot is tossed in the garbage. Really, who wants a used lipgloss? ahh, noone!
But here are a few tips to keep somethings from the landfill…..
When I tire of shampoos,conditioners, body washes I put them in my kids bathroom and let them finish off the bottles and then I recycle the empty bottles. You could even offer them to a close friend.
I always toss bottles of nail polish and any unopened product in the good will bag.
Some makeup companies/counters will take items and recycle them for you.
Try to use up all the product.
Try and buy only what you need. ( I know, I know..make up hoarders anonymous..right with you)
Take off tops or break off parts that can be recycled. Collect all excess product in one container and take to pharmacy for disposal.
Support companies that are reducing packaging and using environmentally friendly and non-toxic products. Two of my favourite retail companies right now are The Body Shop and LUSH.
As I change seasons in and around the house. Here is what I was able to part with from my make-up table. Some of these items will be donated, recycled and a few will end up in the garbage.
This is powerful! Have you seen this video? The reason I ask is I am sure I have seen the before and after of this same girl on other social media sites promoting the amazing make-up transformation. However, after seeing the whole video now I am quite disturbed. It makes me very sad to know all she has gone through. As well it reminds me of several important things: One snap shot doesn’t tell the whole story, make-up is a personal choice with or without it we are beauty people. Thankfully, the blogging world that I have been apart of has always been a positive, rewarding experience but it also opens you up to hateful people that troll about looking for mean and hateful things to say.
If there is one thing to be said for subscription bags and boxes they are a really good way to try out products you have never tried before. Sometimes the sample sizes are great because you are not committed to a full-size should you not like a product or it just doesn’t work for you. Why am I talking about this? Well, because I have discovered another favourite from my April Ipsy bag and it is Julie G Nail polish. This is one of those products that I wish I would have discovered sooner. While I am discovering how great this polish is Jacqueline at A Vibrant Day whose blog I love by the way is doing a three part Mani(cure) on the JulieG’s Candy Shoppe Collection. Go check that out she does really great mani(cures).
On to the Julie G I received in my Ipsy bag, it was in the shade of Damsel which is a mid-tone pink creme. This colour is part of the core collection. This colour really works for me and is a wonderful colour for Spring and Summer . On the website you can purchase this polish for $3.99. That is a steal and I will tell you why. (However, I am only referring to this colour which is from the core collection because if you read Jacqueline’s series on Candy Shoppe Collection the polish from that collection does not have the wearability as the core colours)
1. There are many colors to choose from
2. They are 3.99
3. This is something about this formula that makes application very easy. I have control over the polish and therefore I make less mistakes that I have to correct. The brush doesn’t appear to be anything special so it must be the formula.
4. I saved the best for last and last it does. This polish has amazing wearability. If you put a topcoat on it lasts even longer. I went 4 days with out a topcoat and had no chips. With a topcoat I can get 5-6 days with no chips. The only time I have had polish last this long is when I have had a professional manicure.
The downside, as per usual I find a great product but I am unable to get it in Canada, shipping to Canada is often very expensive and not worth the cost. I will be adding this to my USA shopping trip list.
Day 4 with no topcoat just starting to get some wear on the tips, use a topcoat for ever best results.
With the heat of Summer and beach days only weeks away I am all about quick, easy make-up application. Even though I am religious about sunscreen on my face I still tend to get some color and don’t often use foundation at all in the Summer. I tend to want sparkle in the Summer more then ever. So when I was on a little shopping trip I happened to walk by this make up store, you know the one Sephora. In fact, I think I made three trips there this month. It was my birthday month so there was lots of treating to be had and since Chris handed me 100.00 to spend for my birthday I happily leaped into the store. Here are my treasures.
1. Urban Decay Naked illuminated-You want glitter this will certainly deliver. Many may find this glitter overboard, me not so much. My face will be diamonds in the sun all Summer long.
2. Nars Super Orgasm Blush-This pinky peached toned blush has you guess it larger gold glitter pieces in it. I now have both the orgasm and the super orgasm. With orgasm you get shimmer with super orgasm you get shimmer and glitter. Here is the thing if you tap your brush before applying the super orgasm you can tap off all the gold glitter before it even gets to your awaiting cheeks. Now we wouldn’t want that now would we?
3. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer-I had to get this. I couldn’t read one more review about how fabulous this product is without actually having one. So I sunk my 35.00 into this little tube of what I believed would be the solution to all my eye problems forever and ever. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was. So much so that I actually consider taking it back. That is right, back to the store. I even reviewed the Sephora return policy as I have never returned something unless it was damaged. I gave it some time and tried it some more and here is the compromise. As an eye concealer it didn’t work for me because it caused creases and I don’t need to create wrinkles that are not actually there but as a highlighter I really like it. So true to its name, it is radiant and brightening.
5. Make up Forever Duo Mat Powder Foundation-I picked this up for Summer days when all I will apply is sunscreen and this powder before heading out the door. Who am I kidding? I will have lips and mascara too but no foundation per say.I am really liking this so far.
6. Real Techniques Brush Set-Someday I plan to learn more about contouring and this set will be there to help, until then I am loving the buffing brush with the Duo Mat Powder Foundation.
One more photo for the road as I continue to practice my picture taking skills.
I am so glad to get this post up so I can finally recycle these products to the blue bag. I am on a mission to start using up product and making more room on my make up table. It is becoming shall we say overcrowded.
1. John Frieda Frizz Ease– I was using this product to help straighten my hair when using the flat iron. I liked that it was a spray so I had good control over how much or little I used. Overall, I would say this product work okay. It did help with keeping my hair smooth but it wasn’t perfect and I had some flyaways. I would give it a 3/5. This maybe something I would purchase again.
2. Oil of Morocco Hairspray-I got this in an Ipsy bag, It was a sample size. I liked that it was a light hairspray and didn’t leave you hair feeling like you just sprayed glue on it. I think there are many drug store products that also work the same so I would most likely purchase one of those on sale and get the same result. I am probably unlikely to purchase unless it was on a deep discount. I would rate 3/5.
3. Dove Smoothing Frizz Control-Are you noticing a theme with frizz? I like that you can use this product on wet or dry hair. It seems to work for a short while but then I have the flyaways again. I think there are better products I could be using. I would rate this 2/5 and will be unlikely to purchasing again.
4. Up All Night Volumizing Spray-This was another Ipsy bag item and also a sample size. This was also a spray which makes me feel like I have more control over how much I use. I really liked this product and used nearly every day, trying to get ever last spritz out of the bottle. This product gave me great volume and did not leave my hair feeling like it had product in it. I hate feeling product in my hair and will often not use hair products because of this. I give this a 4/5 and will most likely purchase once I figure out where I can get it.
5. Arbonne Make Up Primer-This is one of the best primers I have used thus far. I liked this so much I didn’t want to use it for fear it wold be all gone but atlas it is. It is listed on Amazon for about $40.00. I can’t recall how much I paid directly from a consultant. Should I get to a party or be offered this at a discount price I will sweep it up. However, right now I can not justify re-purchasing it when I have 3 other primers on the go. It is possible there are comparable primers for a better price point and I am looking for those options as well. I give this a 4/5. Not 5/5 because sometimes it enhanced dry patches on my skin once I put foundation on. Moisturizing well in advance was a required at times depending on how dry my skin may have been.
Well, there you have it and I have a few more millimeters on my make up table.
PS. I was working with lighting outside with my camera on this day hence the outside. Still so much to learn about taking pictures.